Having the Nerd Herd use a blog was a new idea for me this year. Last year when I began as mentor for the Nerd Herd I brought with me a concept from work, an engineering journal. The concept behind an engineering journal is to capture all of the work, ideas and issues. These journals are saved and can be used as the basis for establishing claims for intellectual property.
The Nerd Herd did okay with their engineering journal last year, but I thought we could do better. What I really wanted to impart was an ability for the team to keep track of their progress and be able to look back at the work when preparing their presentation.
The use of a blog allows simultaneous posts from each team member and allows the team to add content outside of class. I will be adding posts to the team's blog that hopefully will be of use to other mentors. The other aspect of the blog will be to help the Nerd Herd with their communication skills. This will help not only with the competition but is a key work skill that can be imparted through this competition. Fortunately for me I have a parent who has experience in this domain and will be assisting the team with their posts.
I am looking forward to a great season with the team and I hope that our readers find the blog useful.
No comments:
Post a Comment