Sunday, April 5, 2015

Mentor Post: First Class

Friday was our season launch for team Nerd Herd and as mentor I was caught unprepared or as the Scots say “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley,". I had been preparing for the season by pulling out the robot and ensuring that all the parts worked. I also had to change the sample project to run with the phone I had available as the phone I used last year was returned to my company's inventory. There were some changes that I made that I will put back into github as soon as possible.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I worked from home on Friday and because of holiday traffic did not attempt to go by the office before class. Therefore I did not have either our engineering journal nor our robot at class.

However, not everything went wrong. We did get to discuss the branding concepts, talk about physical design and start on our blog and presentation. I think that we got into a position to build upon but I left the class feeling a lot like last year, namely frustrated about the lack of time and feeling if I had prepared better we might have made better progress.

I am intentionally keeping this post short but leaving with a question, I want the team to chose a robot name and build up a look and branding strategy around it. Do you have suggestions for them in choosing a product name? What techniques would you recommend for them to come up with ideas and then choose one that they could build upon?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment